Monday, April 2, 2012

Bystander Effect!!!!!



 A couple of years ago, I had a personal experience of the Bystander Effect, matter of fact, I was the actual Bystander. My best friend, my son, and I were walking to my best friend’s house, in which she lived there with her boyfriend and his family. I had strong intentions that I would be doing my best friend's hair, and that it was supposed to be a normal day as always. But to make a long story short, my best friend's boyfriend had found messages on her Face Book account of her talking to some other guy and flipped out. Soon as we got inside of the house I instantly knew that something was wrong. It was black trash bags filled with clothes, and all of her personal items thrown everywhere. Then, my best friend's boyfriend started yelling, and cursing her out, telling her that she needed to get out. I guess she wasn't moving fast enough for him, so he decided to push her out the front door (mind you the girl is only about 100 pounds). They then took the argument outside, and it started to get more heated, he then ripped her shirt off of her and tried to choke her, my best friend tried her hardest to fight back. They argued for about 5 more minutes, and finally her boyfriend stopped yelling and went back inside.
I feel like this is a perfect example of the Bystander Effect because I stood there the whole time, and said or did nothing to defuse the situation knowing that it was wrong. Normally, her boyfriend is far more peaceful, and less confrontational when they it's just the two of them arguing. However, he saw that she had company and decided to take advantage of this opportunity to get physical. Personally, I'm not quite sure if he is bipolar, or has some type of mental disability but he does have the tendency to act different when it's just him and her, versus when they are surrounded by a group of people.

1 comment:

  1. That was an up-close and personal experience. Whew! That's a tough one, but I do agree that it is an example of the bystander effect. Fortunately, she didn't sustain any lasting injuries but what if he had escalated further? Strong example and this one gives a different perspective since there were only 2 bystanders, you and your son.

    ReplyDelete